The City of Frederick Christmas Tree Drop Off and Recycling program will begin on Friday, January 2, 2009 and continue through Friday, January 23, 2009. The four drop off points will be:
- Harry Grove Stadium in the Lower Lot
• Husky Park (Yard 2) – Highland Street
• Max Kehne Park – West 7th Street
• Taskers Chance Park – Key Parkway behind Westridge Shopping Center
Each park will have a designated drop off area designated by a sign. Please make sure trees are free of all ornaments, garland, tinsel, lights, and/or tree stands. Please remove any plastic bags from around the trees.
As part of The City of Frederick’s recycling efforts, Christmas trees are collected annually and ground into mulch. This effort has many beneficial results and also conserves space in the landfill.
Mulch is good for:
- Soil temperature moderation
- Moisture/water retention
- Reduction of competition (weeds)
- Recycling of nutrients through decomposition
- Conserves City funds through a reduction of purchased mulch
Questions can be directed to the Parks Department at 301.600.1173 or Department of Public Works at 301.600.1440. Please join The City of Frederick to conserve resources and help the environment!
Another thing you can do with your old tree is to donate it to us! We have two pet goats that love to nibble on them but we have an artificial tree this year which doesn’t do the goats much good at all. You can email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we can pick it up.