These open threads provide a chance for us to chat with our neighbors. Ask questions, share news, or whatever you want. As long as it’s central to Frederick County and civil, anything goes.
Have at it in the comments!
The grand opening of the Chief Kim C. Dine Police Activities League Skate Park is today, Thursday, June 6 at 5pm. The skate park is located at 26 S. Wisner Street. There will be skateboard demonstrations, entertainment, police displays, and food. Via the Chamber newsletter. Also, here is an article from the FNP about the park.
It’s the time of year when we all become painfully aware of our winter transgressions…too many Starbuck runs, carb loading without carb expending and generally not having the spring in our step we’d like to keep up with the kids as we run around Frederick.
F.I.T. 4 Her is the place for you to regain control and embrace a healthy new lifestyle. Our one of a kind Functional Interval Training (aka it’s the F.I.T. in F.I.T. 4 Her) combined with Kettlebells will shape your body from the inside out. Our clients lose pounds, but more importantly inches and not only that, many of our clients take the F.I.T. 4 Her challenge and make lifestyle changes as well. Our clients end up eating better, taking their vitamins and experiencing an overall life improvement.
We’re different from other fitness classes in Frederick. How?
- We are tailored for women only. That means the only man in the room is our Head Trainer and Founder, Jay Simon.
- Our class size is small, which means everyone gets the benefit of the class environment but individual training feedback at the same time.
- We are a private studio. A place where you can come as you are. No make-up? Great! T-shirt and raggedy sweats? Perfect! No fashion show here, just lots of wonderful women supporting each other on their journey to a healthier lifestyle.
- Our classes always run, no cancellations because it’s just “you”. Whether 1 person shows up or 8, there will be class.
- Need a daytime class? We’ve got that. Evenings? On Mondays and Wednesdays we run session at 6, 7 and 8 pm. Tuesdays and Thursdays at 8 p.m. and on Saturday mornings you’ll see we’re kicking off the day at 8:30 a.m. There’s no excuses to not be able to drop in and join us!
- We are the only fitness program that will test you every quarter to see your improvement. It is incredibly motivating to see the effect 90 days of working out with kettlebells can make on your body!
- We want you to lose pounds, and we want you to lose inches. More importantly, we want you to feel good as well as look good!
- We’ve got a lot of appeal…you’ll find we’re popular with women of all ages and have a clientele that skews from teens to singles to moms. We have people who are new to working out as well as experienced athletes looking to enhance their current training regimen.
Ready to take the leap? Reach out to us today at 240-460-4108 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mention you found us on FrederickMarylandOnline.com and you will get……One Free Month of training of any program that you choose!!
Northern Virginia Beer Festival Offers Family Fun In The Sun This Summer
In just a few weeks, the 6th Annual Northern Virginia Summer BrewFest will take place in Leesburg, Virginia’s Morven Park on June 22nd and 23rd. The NOVA BrewFest elevates beer tasting to a whole new level and is ready to host serious brewers and beer connoisseurs. Beers with “aromas of coriander and orange peel with a flavor of wheat”, or “golden in color with an intense floral aroma and flavors of citrus, fruit, light malt with hints of powdered sugar and American hops” are just a few of the flavors that will be on tap at this year’s Brewfest.
Fans of small-batch and hand-crafted brews of all kinds can sample from the over 60 breweries who will be there, including local favorites Flying Dog, Port City, and DC Brau, as well as others from across the nation.
It takes skill, patience and experience to create craft beers, and brewers take immense pride in their creations. Selecting and pairing foods with beer is becoming as popular as wine and food pairing; give it a try with some of the delicious food that will also be on hand. From savory pulled pork to spicy chicken satay and even oysters on the half shell, there’s a perfect match for every glass. There will also be music and even activities for the kids, making for a great summer family outing.
Tickets are on sale now; the price includes entrance to the BrewFest, a special commemorative beer tasting glass, and 4 tickets for tastings of your choice. There’s even an option to include round-trip busing from the Vienna Metro stop (Orange Line western terminus), and discounted tickets for designated drivers!
If you can’t make it to the summer NOVA Brewfest, don’t despair; they’ll be doing it all over again on October 20th & 21st at Bull Run Regional Park in Centreville, VA.
From the Downtown Frederick Partnership:
June’s Progressive Dinner courses will be served by Canapés Catering, Shab Row Bistro, Ayse Meze Lounge and Brewer’s Alley. Between courses, diners walk from one location to the next. Seating will be European style and outdoors where available. The first three courses of the meal include wine or beer and the dessert course includes coffee or tea. In celebration of Maryland Wine Week, Maryland wines will be featured at each of the first three courses. Tickets can be purchased for $90 (online purchases are subject to service fees) with four available seating times: 5:45, 6:15, 6:45 and 7:15PM. About $45 of each ticket is tax-deductible. Only 26 tickets will be sold per seating.
To get tickets and see the full menus, visit the Downtown Frederick Partnership’s website.
Update: Sorry, forgot to post the date. It’s Tuesday, June 18, 2013, 5:45pm – 10pm.
Lots of things going on this weekend:
- 20th annual Frederick Festival of the Arts – a juried, two-day fine arts festival held the first weekend every June along Carroll Creek Linear Park in downtown Frederick. The event features over 110 artists from across the country, two stages of live entertainment, artist demonstrations, children’s activities, food, and much more. Saturday, June 1, 2013, 10am – 6pm and Sunday, June 2, 2013, 11am – 5pm.
- First Saturday: I ART Downtown – Taking place the Saturday evening of Frederick’s Festival of the Arts, June First Saturday presents live entertainment, a can-art display, two large-scale community art projects, merchant hosted activities and more. Saturday, June 1, 2013 from 5pm – 9pm.
- Spring Carnival – at FSK mall, Friday May 31, 2013 5pm – 11pm, Saturday, June 1, 2013, 12pm – 11pm, and Sunday, June 2, 2013, 1pm – 9pm.
- Adobe Muse Presentation – for fellow web wonks, join AIGA Blue Ridge and Adobe on Friday, May 31, 2013, 6pm – 8pm for an informative session on Adobe Muse. Thanks for the tip Aynex.
- A Year (or Four) in the Historic District – a showing of Bill Adkins‘s photography at Unique Optiques. Saturday June, 1, 2013 from 5pm – 8pm.
- Alive @ Five: Moondog Medicine Show – Thursday, May 30, 2013, 5pm – 8pm.
BJ’s Restaurant & Brewery is coming to the FSK Mall in the parking lot between Macy’s and JCPenney. Here is some information about the restaurant from their website:
BJ’s Restaurants serve quality food and fresh, handcrafted beers in a casual, high-energy atmosphere. Our restaurant team members exude a warm, friendly and energetic spirit that conveys a sense of honest value and a commitment to exceed the expectations of our guests. We have a lively bar with plenty of televisions throughout the restaurant, but we’re not a “sports bar.” We offer our unique handcrafted beer, but we’re not a “brew pub.” We’re just a high-energy, casual dining restaurant that offers quality food and handcrafted beer at a good value to our guests. BJ’s offer a high-quality, extensive (approximately 100 items) menu featuring BJ’s signature deep dish pizza, complemented by generously portioned salads, sandwiches, soups, pasta, entrées, snacks and small bites, our own line of handcrafted microbrewed beers and of course our famous Pizookie® dessert. Quality, flavor, value, moderate prices and sincere service remain distinct attributes of the BJ’s experience. BJ’s is popular with all ages – kids, families, young adults, “baby boomers” and senior citizens – and all income levels. Our average check per guest is about the same (or less) than what you would pay for an average experience at one of the “mass market” casual dining restaurants. The difference is that at BJ’s we believe you get much more for your money!
The Golden Mile Alliance is pleased to announce its first Red Carpet Movie Event fundraiser hosted by Holiday Cinemas on May 23, 2013! This will be an evening of fun, elegance and a little something extra for those seeking a night out. Doors open at 7:00 PM. Tickets include a tasty variety of hor d’oeuvres & desserts provided by area businesses, as well as a bag of popcorn. A wine and beer cash bar will also be available. The movie for the evening is the classic, Roman Holiday, starring Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck and will begin at 8:00 PM in digital format. A wonderful night for all to support a great cause dedicated to the revitalization of the Golden Mile corridor in Frederick, Maryland. $20 advance ticket, $25 at the door.
Join us at Family Meal for our first annual Summer Drive-In Movie Series beginning on May 22, 2013 with cult classic “The Goonies.” Nine family-friendly movies will be shown on a 40-foot screen on our spacious parking lot. Not your average drive-in, no car radios are necessary as guests are encouraged to bring chairs and get cozy in front of the big screen.
Guests may also enjoy pre-screening live sets by local bands including Silent Old Mtns., Jon Jeffries & Keith Corl Acoustic Jam Rock, The Merrylanders, Fieldhands, Old Receiver Band, and more.
Family Meal’s specialty concessions will include Smuttynose beer, generous platters of beef brisket, BBQ pork and fried chicken, sandwiches, and various sides of baked beans, collard greens, coleslaw, cornbread, biscuits, popcorn and more.
Parking lot opens at 6pm, with live bands at 7pm. Movies begin at 8:30pm.
The Maryland Craft Beer Festival takes place Saturday, May 18th, 2013 from Noon to 6pm.
Directly support the Brewers Association of Maryland’s (BAM) mission to promote and protect Maryland Craft Beer by attending this family friendly festival on Carroll Creek Park, in Downtown Frederick. Featuring over 25 Maryland brewing companies pouring over 125 unique, fresh, and local craft beers. Admission ticket includes tasting tokens and a commemorative glass. Additional tokens as well a variety of foods will be available for purchase.